Brooklyn Tech's Official Student Newspaper

The Survey

The Survey

The Survey

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Radio Silence: The History of Tech’s Retired Radio Tower

strictlysam

Although scaffolding obstructs Brooklyn Tech’s building all around, above it stands a 420-foot radio tower, housing the now defunct NYC Department of Education radio station WNYE-FM, the tower being over two times the height of the building.

The tower was built in 1939, and before going out of commission in the 1990s, students and staff members pioneered the Department of Education’s radio operations, hosting the original studio and transmitter that was used before being relocated in the 1970s. Throughout the tower’s usage, various projects were completed, and opportunities were available for students to participate in programming at the station, which was part of an effort to promote work experience before students entered the workforce. Later on, topics expanded to include community interest and adult learning. 

According to George Cuhaj (‘77), Tech alumni and archivist, one of the projects that Tech ran into the 80’s “allowed students who were unable to attend school classes to keep up with coursework, and was mostly for elementary or junior high school [level] students.” The broadcasts were an early form of remote learning that relied on radio broadcasts from to students could tune in. 

Similar to courses at Tech, the tower allowed students to learn the basics of a real-world job, aligning with the Techs’ founding mission to create “a better trained technical workforce.” Another notable activity of the tower was to air a monthly report by mayors, such as Fiorello La Guardia, using Tech’s radio station.

The first radio tower at Tech’s current building stood at 350 feet, shorter than the current 420-foot one, making the building and tower combined into the largest structure in Brooklyn up until 2015 with the construction of The Hub in Downtown Brooklyn.  

Since its closing, there has been much curiosity among students and staff about what the tower is used for today. Principal David Newman explained “[the radio tower] is just a metal structure that has a flashing bulb so planes don’t hit it,” with work still being done by Tech to follow lighting requirements set by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The FAA states that “all structures exceeding 200 feet above ground level (AGL) must be appropriately marked with tower lights or tower paint.” Therefore, Tech must have a contractor on hand to climb the ladder and replace lighting on the tower yearly. 

While the exact reason for its being shut down is not clear, Newman noted that it was partly due to health concerns stemming from exposure to radio waves. “From what I understand, somebody determined at some point that having an active radio tower on top of kids’ heads was not a good idea.” However, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), which regulates radio, satellite, and television communications interstate and internationally, believes that “there is no reason to believe that such towers could constitute a potential health hazard to nearby residents or students.” 

Since its final broadcast, the radio room, situated on the 9th floor, has been sealed off. The radio equipment has been dismantled, essentially leaving the room abandoned. Tech, however, has plans to repurpose the space as a recording studio for the music department. The radio room is just one of the former school facilities, alongside the foundry, for which the school has big plans. Due to how iconic the radio room is, many members of the alumni foundation are in support of bringing its legacy and use back to life.

View Comments (1)