Brooklyn Tech's Official Student Newspaper

The Survey

The Survey

The Survey

Div and Flo, Give and Go

Divya Parikh (’25) and Florence Sullivan (’25) at the Public School Athletic League City Team Championship

The flick of a stick, the swish of the net, the roar of the crowd. That’s what is heard when Div and Flo are playing.

The Brooklyn Tech Girls Varsity Lacrosse team’s dynamic duo, Divya “Div” Parikh  (‘25) and Florence “Flo” Sullivan (‘25) have spurred their squad’s success as midfielders. During the 2023 season, the pair led the team to victory in the Public School Athletic League (PSAL) Championships, achieved the top two scoring spots in New York City, and were recognized as Most Valuable Players (MVP) for their time playing at Tech–an honor that has never gone to two Tech players of the same team. As if that wasn’t enough, the athletes were also awarded USA High School Girls All-American titles, one of the most prestigious national honors for high school lacrosse players. 

Parikh and Sullivan began playing together before enrolling at Tech and were both exposed to lacrosse during their childhoods.

Because both of Sullivan’s parents played National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) Division I (D1) lacrosse in college, Sullivan has always been surrounded by the sport. “They always tried to get me into it,” she explained. By age 11, Sullivan began exploring lacrosse. 

Parikh, however, had an earlier start in lacrosse, beginning at age five. Her first time picking up anything resembling a lacrosse stick was in her gym class. “One day my gym teacher gave out FiddleSTX, I thought it was kind of fun,” she recalled. Her gym teacher, Kassim Howell, turned out to be one of the founders of the Brooklyn Crescents Lacrosse Club, which is the first lacrosse club both Parikh and Sullivan joined. 

Parikh joined the Crescents’ highest-level team, the A team, while Sullivan started at the B level, but worked her way up to the A team in just a year. Practice was two times a week, with tournaments in the fall and summer. As the years passed, both girls fell more in love with the sport, and the friendships that came with it. When asked about the lacrosse community, Sullivan explained, “It’s like a built-in family.” Parikh added, “I always look forward to the car rides and the food after practice.”

Coach Carla Sigona, who coached the Girls Varsity Lacrosse team from the spring of 2017 to 2023, discovered Parikh and Sullivan in a Crescents clinic in eighth grade before they even applied to Tech. Coach Sigona was impressed by their skills at such a young age. “It’s very clear when an athlete has experience,” she said. “They have a much smoother approach to the game than most players have.” Parikh and Sullivan later went to a Tech game just to observe the team. “We were so excited,” the girls explained. After learning more about Tech’s lacrosse program, the athletes felt that Tech would be a great fit, due to the high-level players and impressive coaching, and applied soon after.

Tech’s lacrosse team has been a vital part of the girls’ athletic journey. “I have learned about leadership, and a lot about teamwork,” Parikh commented. 

According to Coach Sigona, while most players looking to play on their high school team are often untrained, Parikh and Sullivan arrived with well-honed skills. “These girls had a lot of experience,” she said. “They were able to make a huge impact, even in their first year.” The duo’s outstanding skills inspired their teammates to elevate their games, setting the bar high last season when both Parikh and Sullivan celebrated their 100th goal for the Tech team. “They have produced so much for our team, whether it’s assists, goals, or draw-controls,” explained Coach Sigona. 

Outside of school, the girls currently play on separate club teams year-round; Parikh at DewLax and Sullivan at FLG Elevate. Both commute over an hour to practices two to three times a week in New Jersey, where they play for two to three hours. In the fall and summer, they travel, often via airplane, to different states for weekend-long tournaments, where they wake up as early as four in the morning to get ready. “The tournament season is a lot of work…it’s all extremely rewarding, though,” emphasized Parikh. 

Despite the crucial role that lacrosse plays in Parikh and Sullivan’s lives, and the many opportunities it promises, such as possible college recruitments, both admit that the sport can take a toll on their mental health. At an academically demanding school like Tech, both student-athletes have found it difficult to balance schoolwork and social activities. “If I wanted to prioritize [lacrosse], I had to take a pause,” acknowledged Sullivan. 

Playing together allowed the girls to motivate each other to work harder. Parikh admitted that she often had the mindset that, “If Flo can do that, I need to do that too.” Whether it was at practice, scrimmages, or tournaments, Sullivan and Parikh encouraged each other to push through the limit and become the best players they could be. “I wouldn’t think this is possible without seeing Div go through the same thing,” Sullivan explained when asked about the importance of having a close friend going on the same path as her. 

After winning recognition for their talent, the possibility of continuing lacrosse after high school has become tangible. Both athletes hope to play at a higher level in college, but they have different priorities. “Flo and I are in different situations in terms of what we want,” Parikh commented. 

Although lacrosse is extremely important to Parikh, she feels that the athletic commitment at a Division I school might be too demanding, taking away from her academic and social experience. Early practices and time-consuming games are not her ideal, so Division III (D3) or club lacrosse options are more appealing. 

Sullivan wants more, admitting she “would love for lacrosse to consume [her] life,” explaining that a team community would provide the social life and support system she desires. Then again, going D3 provides a wider range of schools to attend, something that is of great value to Sullivan.

These athletes are forced to make a difficult decision regarding their future. “The game is changing so much, we aren’t sure what it’s going to look like for us,” explained Parikh. Although Parikh and Sullivan have been side by side throughout their journey playing lacrosse, they might find themselves going down different paths next year.