After Rocky Start, Tech Softball Tears Through Competition

Alexander Judd, Sports Editor

The beginning to the Tech Girls Softball Team’s season did not look promising after losing 10-0 in the opener to Fort Hamilton High School, a game in which the team collected only two hits over seven innings. However, since then, they have blown away almost all of the competition they have faced. 

Players attribute their discouraging first loss to their struggle to find a coach at the start of the season. According to captain Sofia Puccio (‘22) and next year’s captain Monique Kamrowski (‘23), they were unable to hold even a single practice prior to their first game. Tech Athletic Director Mr. Rubin declined to comment when asked about the team’s inability to find a coach. 

Part of the team’s success this season can be attributed to the lack of competition in their division this year. “Covid has changed the division requirements, so our division now consists of [teams] who were in AA and A, which explains the variety in skill level,” explained Puccio. Tech plays in the competitive AAA division.

During the April 11th game against EBC/Bushwick Leaders at Prospect Park’s Parade Ground, Bushwick’s pitches consistently dropped several feet in front of home plate. Seemingly every ball put into play by Tech resulted in a runner on base, and two led to inside-the-park home runs due to fielding errors. The game terminated with the umpires invoking the Public School Athletic League’s “mercy” rule, which awards an automatic victory to teams winning by a margin of ten runs or more after four innings. In fact, eleven of the team’s victories so far this season have been mercies. 

However, the team’s outstanding season is not just a result of a lack of competition. As Puccio explained, “I credit [our being undefeated since the season opener] to our incredible bond as teammates, and pure, undeniable skill. Not only are we in the city’s top division, but we also have a city championship from 2019 under our belts. We have a team of very accomplished pitchers and overall players, so our expectations for the season are quite high.” Komrowski, the team’s ace pitcher, recorded a whopping 109 strikeouts over the course of the season. 

The Engineers continued plowing through their opponents in the remaining games of this season and into the playoffs but eventually fell in the semifinals of the playoffs at the hands of Susan Wagner High School, with a score of 6-0. The team hopes to bounce back swiftly and bring home another city championship in 2023.